WCC testing Whatcom Alert system Wednesday, November 8 at noon
Stay updated on inclement weather closures, delays and other emergencies with Whatcom Alert
A test of the Whatcom Alert system will be initiated on Wednesday, November 8 at 12:00 pm. Campus closures or delays due to inclement weather are communicated via the Whatcom Alert system. If you haven’t already, please visit whatcom.edu/emergency for more information and to verify/update your Whatcom Alert contact information.
Whatcom Community College strives to stay open to fulfill its mission whenever possible. However, there are a number of factors that are weighed when arriving at a decision to delay the start of operations, close operations early, or suspend operations altogether.
- Maintenance crews are consulted regarding current conditions on campus.
- Current and forecasted weather/road conditions are evaluated for our region.
- Employees living in various parts of the region and county are consulted regarding weather and road conditions in their area.
- Road conditions are assessed via consultation with Public Works (county and city), as well as Department of Transportation reports, traffic cameras, and firsthand knowledge of driving conditions.
- Other institutions and organizations are consulted with regarding their inclement weather-related decisions.
- Local school district closures and delays are reviewed and considered.
These are some of the considerations taken into account when the College experiences inclement weather. As always, we understand that individuals must make decisions to protect their own health and safety if conditions make it unsafe to travel to campus. Employees should work with their supervisor and/or division chair to make other arrangements in an emergency.
For more information about campus emergency procedures and inclement weather please visit whatcom.edu/emergency.