2019-2020 WCCF Scholarship Deadline Extended to Monday, March 4th
Apply for all WCC Foundation scholarships, and the SEECRS program, using the General Scholarship Application.
The WCC Foundation offers over $300,000 in scholarship opportunities to Whatcom Community College students. Awards typically range from $1,000 to $5,500 for the 2019-2020 academic year.
Who qualifies for WCC Foundation scholarships?
WCC Foundation scholarships are available to students who will attend Whatcom during the 2019-2020 academic year (Summer 2019—Spring 2020). While there are some scholarships with specific criteria, most of our awards are available to any student in good academic standing, including full and part time students, Running Start students, and international students. Last year around 70% of our applicants were offered a scholarship.
How do I apply for scholarships?
WCC Foundation offers over 80 individual scholarships in addition to our general scholarship fund. Students can apply for all these opportunities using the General Scholarship Application. The general application is the only application for WCCF scholarships. You do not need to research individual scholarships or apply for them individually—we do this part for you. We will contact you if we need additional information after you submit your application.
- There are three required essays (150 words or less). The essay questions help the application review committee get a sense of who you are and your future goals.
- You will need to upload an unofficial copy of your latest transcript to the application. You can obtain this from your WCC account or check with an advisor.
- One letter of recommendation is required. Please give your letter writer two weeks to prepare a thoughtful letter.
What can I do to improve my chances of receiving a scholarship?
The most important parts of your application are your personal essays and your letter of recommendation. Reviewers are looking to see that you are serious about your goals at WCC, that you can persist in your education when challenged, and that a scholarship will be an investment in your success. The easiest ways for you to be successful are to:
- Use spell check!
- Make sure that your letter of recommendation has been submitted.
- Check your email. We will notify you throughout the application process if we need additional information from you, and all award decisions will be announced via email.
- Go to the Writing Center. The Writing Center is an excellent resource, whether you need help with brainstorming and organizing your thoughts or finalizing your language. Essays do not need to be perfect, but reviewers can tell when applicants have put thought in to their responses.
How do I submit a letter of recommendation?
You can either upload a letter of recommendation into your application, or you can send a request to your recommender using the “Letters of Recommendation” tab in the application. Add your recommender’s contact information and click the “Send Request” button. This will send an email to your recommender with a link for them to upload the letter directly into the application.
If you or your recommenders have any issues with this, please contact the Foundation. Be sure to request your letters of recommendation as soon as possible to give your recommenders time to write a thoughtful letter.
What is SEECRS and how do I apply for it?
STEM Excellence through Engagement in Collaboration, Research, and Scholarship (SEECRS) is a program for WCC students pursuing AS-T degrees in certain science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) fields. Example areas of study include biology, chemistry, engineering, geology, math, physics, and pre-med. Students studying health professions, CIS, and cybersecurity are not eligible. SEECRS participants will become part of a peer group working toward a STEM transfer degree. Participants receive a scholarship of up to $6,700 and will have a dedicated STEM academic advisor, a faculty mentor, access to paid summer research opportunities, and other benefits.
To apply for SEECRS, complete the WCCF scholarship application and fill out the optional SEECRS section.
Additional qualifications for SEECRS include:
- Demonstrated potential for success in a STEM degree or career path
- Intent to transfer in a STEM discipline with an AS-T degree
- Demonstrated financial need determined through financial aid eligibility
- U.S. citizen, national, or alien admitted as a refugee or alien admitted for permanent residence
- Successful completion of intermediate algebra or placement into pre-calculus or higher by the end of winter quarter 2019
- Full time student status (12 or more credits per quarter)
- 3.00 GPA or above
Students who do not meet the criteria for SEECRS are still encouraged to submit the general WCCF application as there are many other scholarship opportunities for STEM students.
How will I know if I receive a scholarship?
The first round of award notifications is planned for mid-May, and additional award notifications will be sent in early July. Notifications will be e-mailed to the email address listed on your scholarship application. Recipients are required to accept their award via email, so it is essential that you check your email regularly.
SEECRS recipients will be notified separately by the SEECRS program committee.
Contact WCCF at firstname.lastname@example.org or 383-3320 if you have any questions along the way!
Whatcom Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability, honorably discharged veteran or military status, sexual orientation, genetic information or age in its programs and activities. WCC publications are available in alternate formats upon request.