Core learning abilities (CLAs) are overarching skills that are emphasized in all courses and programs, student services support and interactions, and co-curricular activities at WCC. CLAs define the skills the College expects its students to develop by the time they graduate (with a certificate or degree).
The core learning abilities are:
- Critical thinking
- Global consciousness
- Information literacy
- Quantitative literacy
All math courses have the quantitative literacy CLA with the exception of the following:
- MATH 207 has only the critical thinking CLA.
- MATH 121 has both quantitative literacy and global consciousness CLAs.
In mathematics, students will also...
- have opportunities to share information with classmates,
- have the chance to formulate and respond to questions,
- learn to apply critical thinking, problem-solving, and quantitative reasoning skills to the study of material in the course,
- learn to use appropriate terminology and symbolic language (in written and/or verbal form).
Students taking math classes at Whatcom may expect any of the following methods of assessment: group and/or individual self-assessments, graded exercises, work at the board, critique by other students, class participation/discussion, homework, quizzes, unit tests, projects and final exams.