Career & salary outlook
Depending on the program you choose, you may find work as an in-home childcare provider, a childcare or preschool aide, preschool teacher, or childcare center administrator.
Preschool and childcare workers help supervise and care for infants and young children. Duties may include developing and implementing appropriate curriculum, nurturing social skills and emotional development, providing for the physical well-being of children, supporting and educating parents, collaborating with fellow teachers and staff, and managing the business of providing child services.
Certificate graduates usually work under the supervision of a teacher or a director. They may:
- Assist in a pre-school program
- Assist in a Head Start/ECEAP program
- Work as a childcare provider in a center or home
Entry level wages for childcare workers in Whatcom county range from $9.56 to $9.61 per hour; for preschool teachers from $10.69 to $12.30 per hour.*
Associate degree graduates are often employed as lead teachers or administrators in early learning programs. They may:
- Direct or teach in a pre-school program
- Teach in a Head Start/ECEAP program
- Operate or work in a childcare facility
- Care for and teach children aged birth to eight years old in a variety of settings
Entry level wages in Washington state for administrators of early childhood education programs, may range from $13.40 to $16.41 per hour.**Sources: CareerOneStop 2015