Prepare for workplace advancement and/or academic transferability
Whatcom has enhanced early childhood education (ECE) classes, certificates and the associate in arts (AA) degree to better prepare early learning and childcare professionals for workplace advancement and academic transferability.
- 16 ECE courses are aligned with statewide standards to improve transferability.
- Three "stackable" certificates meet state requirements and allow progression without course repetition for students who wish to earn higher certificates or degrees.
- First, the 12-credit State Initial Early Childhood Education Certificate
- Next, add eight (8) credits to earn a State Short Early Childhood Education Certificate of Specialization; options of specialization include: General, Administration, Family Child Care, Infants and Toddlers, and School-Age Care
- Finally, add another 30 to 32 credits to achieve the State Early Childhood Education Certificate
- An additional 38 to 43 credits are required to earn the early childhood education associate in arts degree. The degree culminates with an internship placement with learning objectives tailored to the individual student.