Career & salary outlook
Office administrators perform a variety of clerical and administrative duties that are necessary to run an organization efficiently. Duties may include:
- Answer telephones and take messages or transfer calls
- Schedule appointments and update event calendars
- Arrange staff meetings
- Handle incoming and outgoing mail and faxes
- Draft routine memos, billing or other reports
- Edit company correspondence and ensure document accuracy
- Maintain databases and filing systems, whether electronic or paper
- Perform basic bookkeeping
With advanced experience and/or training, they may negotiate with vendors, buy supplies, manage stockrooms, and/or supervise other office employees.
Demand for office clerks is strong in Whatcom county; starting wages may range between $11.40 and $13.57 per hour, with wages averaging at $17.62 per hour. A first-line supervisor of office and administrative support workers may start at $16.59 per hour; the average wage is $27.12 per hour.
Sources: CareerOneStop, 2016; WA State Employment Security Department, August 2017
Local employers of recent program graduates include:
- Brigid Collins Family Support Center
- Farmers Insurance
- Lynden Door Inc.