Career & salary outlook
Office administrators perform a variety of clerical and administrative duties that are necessary to run an organization efficiently. Duties may include:
- Answer telephones and take messages or transfer calls
- Schedule appointments and update event calendars
- Arrange staff meetings
- Handle incoming and outgoing mail and faxes
- Draft routine memos, billing or other reports
- Edit company correspondence and ensure document accuracy
- Maintain databases and filing systems, whether electronic or paper
- Perform basic bookkeeping
With advanced experience and/or training, they may negotiate with vendors, buy supplies, manage stockrooms, and/or supervise other office employees.
Demand for office and administrative support workers is strong in Whatcom county, with average annual growth projected to be 2.1% (2014-2024). Starting wages may range between $10.56 and $12.39 per hour, with wages averaging at $14.85 per hour. A first-line supervisor of office and administrative support workers may start at $15.98 per hour; the average wage is $25.36 per hour.
Sources: CareerOneStop, 2015; WA State Employment Security Department, July 2016