Recognizing instruction excellence among our local high school teachers, Whatcom Community College partnered with local area high schools to offer College in the High School (CHS). High school students complete advanced-level coursework to satisfy high school requirements while earning Whatcom Community College credit.
How is College in the High School different from Running Start?
CHS provides students the opportunity to receive credit through participating high school teachers, trained and approved to teach college-level courses. Students achieve college-level credit without leaving the comforts of high school and familiar teachers.
Admissions and registration
To apply and register for College in the High School, download and return the CHS packet. Packets consist of the Registration and Enrollment Form, Parent/Guardian Acknowledgement Form, and online payment instructions.
Students who register for College in the High School establish a Whatcom Community College record and receive a student identification number (SID). All WCC students must adhere to the college's catalog policies, including grading, course withdrawals, and academic honesty.
Tenth, eleventh, and twelfth grade students or students who have not yet received a high school diploma or its equivalent and are eligible to be in tenth, eleventh, or twelfth grades may participate in the CHS program (RCW 28A.600.290).
How to register
- Students interested in College in the High credit receive registration packets from their high school teachers or download them online.
- Students submit the completed registration packet to the Whatcom Community College Registration Office to be enrolled in the class. Each student receives a student identification number (SID). Once the student receives an SID, payment must be made online or in person at the Whatcom Community College cashier.
- Email confirmations are sent to the email address on the registration form.
Whatcom Community College's CHS fee is $210 per course. Student registration deadlines are based on the school and timeline outlined below.
Payment must occur by the deadline to receive college credit for the course. Payment plans and refunds are not offered for College in the High School students.
- Pay online or in-person at the WCC Laidlaw Center cashier with your SID and PIN.
- Your SID was provided at the time of enrollment. Please contact Registration if you have any questions.
- Your PIN is your six-digit birth date (MMDDYY).
Students who withdraw from College in the High School courses receive a W on their official Whatcom Community College transcript.
Bellingham High Schools registration calendar
|december 2||Registration packets due||Credit for fall quarter*|
|december 2||CHS fee due||Credit for fall quarter*|
|March 30||Registration packets due||Credit for spring quarter*|
|aPRIL 11||CHS fee due||Credit for spring quarter*|
*Grades will not appear on the WCC transcript until the fall high school semester ends.
Windward High School registration calendar
|October 16||Registration packets due||Credit for fall quarter*|
|november 6||CHS fee due||Credit for fall quarter*|
|January 15||Registration packets due||Credit for winter quarter*|
|January 22||CHS fee due||Credit for winter quarter*|
|May 13||Registration packets due||Credit for spring quarter*|
|May 20||CHS fee due||Credit for spring quarter*|
*Grades will not appear on the WCC transcript until both the high school trimester and the college quarter ends.