Whatcom Community College's Homestay Program offers the opportunity for a unique cultural experience by placing students with local families in Bellingham and surrounding areas. Living with a host family gives students a chance to learn about American culture by participating in the homestay's daily activities. Host's include married and unmarried couples, people with children, single hosts, people with or without pets, native and non-native English speakers etc.
How to Become a Homestay Host
- Contact the International Programs at WCC, email us at email@example.com. Or call our office 360-383-3270.
- Fill out a Homestay Host Application
- Attend a New Homestay Host Informational Meeting. Check our blog for the next meeting! WCC Homestay Blog
- Make an appointment with the WCC International Programs Housing Coordinator for an "In Home Interview".
- The Housing Coordinator will interview two personal references and conduct a background check.
- Wait for final approval!
The length of a students homestay varies depending on a students intended length of study. Most students live with one host family from three to nine months. We place students quarterly, although most students arrive during fall quarter in September.
- A safe, clean and welcoming living environment.
- A private bedroom with access to a quiet study space, kitchen and laundry facilities.
- Regular interaction with students that provide opportunities to practice English.
- Daily meals (food available for the student to make a breakfast and lunch, with an evening meal provided by the host).
- Live on or near a WTA bus stop, as all international students need to travel to the college on their own. Occasionally, students may need help with transportation for school related activities.