Whatcom Community College's student ambassadors are the face of the College, and make an amazing first impression to prospective students, help new students acclimate, promote the College and campus events to current students, and provide a student perspective to the community.
Mission: Our mission is to provide Whatcom Community College with student leaders who excel at engaging current students, provide a professional and lasting first impression to prospective students, and represent the WCC student perspective to the College community.
Current Ambassador Bios
Sloan is mostly from Southern California, although she's lived in many places. She is going to WCC to pursue a transfer degree, then planning to go to Western Washington, where she will major in communications with a minor in Japanese.
Drea was born and raised in Kennewick, Washington. She moved to Bellingham in August 2016 and is finishing her Associates degree at WCC. Once completed, she plans to transfer to WWU to earn a degree in Psychology which she will use to become a mental health counselor.
Chris is from Seattle, WA, born on Christmas Day 1974. He is studying for a Transfer Degree in Business Finance. He is the Defensive Coordinator for the Whatcom Wild Elite 7 on 7 5/6 and 7/8 Grade Teams. As well as the Defensive Coordinator for the Ferndale 4/5 Grade Tackle program.
Elaine is a coffee-loving girl who was born here in Bellingham, but did live in Mexico for 6 years. She is currently working on finishing her transfer degree at WCC. Elaine will be transferring to the University of Washington in the fall of 2018, to major in Political Science and Economics.
Gina is from Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. She loves Chemistry and is pursuing Chemistry major at WCC. In the future, she wants to transfer to one of the universities on the East Coast to continue her major find herself an opportunity to create safe and healthy cosmetic products in the laboratory.
Finn is from Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. He is pursuing the major of Business. He plans to finish his degree in Fall 2018, and he wants apply to the Foster School in University of Washington to continue his advanced education.
Lizzie was born and raised in Bellingham. As a senior in high school, she is a full-time Running Start student working towards her degree in Biology. After graduating, Lizzie plans to attend a four year university in Canada, then apply to medical school.
Diego Chino Acatitlan
Diego was born in Guerrero, Mexico and moved to Washington State at age one. He has lived in Skagit County ever since. He is pursuing a transfer degree at WCC and intends to major in Biology at a university, and then attend medical school with the goal of becoming a doctor. His interests include photography, painting with oils and watercolors, and he loves to hike.
What are the benefits of becoming a Student Ambassador?
- Develop valuable leadership and communication skills by attending workshops and conferences
- Enhance your transfer application or personal resume
- Make meaningful connections with prospective and new students by sharing your experience and knowledge of WCC
- Be a part of a dynamic team of student leaders by collaborating with the ASWCC and the Programming & Diversity Board
- Earn a paycheck
- Meet some new great friends!
What duties are performed by the Student Ambassadors?
Student ambassadors build connections within Whatcom Community College, as well as the greater community and partners. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Coordinate daily operations in the Office of Student Life and Development
- Serve as Whatcom Wave (new student orientation) student leaders
- Assist with the promotion of Student Life and Development and Athletics activities and events
- Provide individual and group campus tours upon request
- Participate in WCC Outreach efforts to help increase attendance and student retention
- Represent the WCC student perspective at WCC Foundation events
- Volunteer with the Junior Achievement Program
- Participate in regular leadership trainings