The work study program at Whatcom Community College provides jobs for students to assist them in meeting their educational expenses through the financial aid process. Efforts are made to provide employment related to career interests. Placement can be made in either an on campus position or an off campus position (with non-profit or for-profit employers). Students who decide that they would like to participate in the work study program should stop by the Financial Aid Office to see if they are eligible for work study funding. A work study award is only an estimate of what you might earn if you are hired, work, and submit monthly time sheets. A work study award cannot pay tuition and fees. To qualify, you must be enrolled for at least half-time (6 credits) and be a financial aid recipient.
On Campus Work Study Procedures
On campus work study position openings are posted on the display located in the Financial Aid Office, as well as online. The majority of on-campus positions are clerical, often requiring computer and interpersonal skills. In addition, there are some library, custodial, maintenance, and other positions available. Most positions range from 8-16 hours per week.
- Determine if you meet the qualifications as listed on the job opening position announcement
- Request an "On Campus Work Study Application" form from the Financial Aid Office
- Schedule an interview with the supervisor as listed on the job opening position announcement (supervisor's name and location is listed on the announcement)
- Supervisors will notify you if you are selected for the position
- If hired, complete required payroll forms at the Human Resources Office in Laidlaw Center 235
- Students are paid bi-monthly (10th and 25th) at the current hourly rate of $11.60. Pay is either direct deposited or issued via pay card.
Off Campus Work Study Procedures
You must follow these steps to activate your award and be placed in an off campus position.
- Obtain an "Off Campus Referral" form from the Financial Aid Office.
- Schedule an appointment with the off-campus work study coordinator.
- You are required to bring your current resume with you, along with your "Off Campus Referral" form, to your meeting with the off campus work study coordinator.
- Note: If you need assistance developing a resume, schedule an appointment in WCC's Career & Center by calling 360.383.3080.
Returning Off Campus Work Study Students
Do not assume that you may begin employment at your former position. You must meet with the off campus work study coordinator to confirm your continued eligibility for an off campus work study position before you can begin working.
Off Campus Work Study Jobs
Jobs range from $11.50-$15 per hour. Listed below is a partial list of jobs that could be available.
Whatcom Land Trust
- Janitorial tasks in the WLT office
- Assist with basic landscaping tasks around the WLT office
- Participating in community work parties to restore habitat, remove invasive plants and trees
Bellingham Public Schools
- One-on-One instruction
- Small classroom instruction and supervision
- Assisting teachers
- Family Interactive Gallery (FIG): Tours for children and parents, supervision of children and exhibit education.
- Photography Archival Assistant: Filing and data management for photographic exhibits.
- General Office Assistant: Secretarial and front desk work, filing, and office tasks.