Welcome veterans, service members, and eligible dependents

We welcome you to Whatcom Community College where your service is recognized and appreciated. Most importantly, we want to thank you for your service to our country and the sacrifices you have made, and continue to make, to ensure our freedom and way of life.

Getting started at Whatcom with your VA benefits

Step 1: Apply for GI Bill® benefits. For more information about VA benefits visit the GI Bill® website. After applying for benefits the VA will send you a certificate of eligibility that is required by the College.

  • If you have used VA benefits at a prior college, the VA will require you submit a Change of Program or Place of Training through eBenefits or VA.gov to activate your benefits at Whatcom.

If you are a Reservist or National Guard member wanting to activate your Chapter 1606 Selected Reserve benefits administered by the VA, contact your command to obtain a Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) – this is in addition to the application located on the GI Bill® website. Reservists and National Guard members must check with your Educational Services Officer (ESO) or command for information about Tuition Assistance before enrolling at Whatcom Community College.

Step 2: Apply for admissions to Whatcom.

  • After applying you will receive a student ID number (SID)
  • Setup your MYWCC account.

Step 3: Complete Math and English placement of Self-Place into an English Course.

  • If you require a math placement—setup Aleks Account 
    1. Log into MyWCC—Advising—Aleks Math Placement
  • After creating Aleks account schedule Aleks Placement 360.383.3080  
  • Schedule English placement 360.383.3080 
  • Veterans are not required to take the English placement. Speak with the Veteran Advisor about English Self-Placement.       
  • If you have already completed college level math and/or English, please bring an unofficial copy of all prior college transcripts to your meeting with the Veteran Advisor.
  • Dependents using VA education benefits are required to take both math and English placement before registering for classes, unless college level math and/or English are complete. 

Step 4: Bring the following documents to your meeting with the Veteran Advisor.

Step 5: Meet with the Veteran Advisor

  • 360.383.3080 or 360.383.3015 to schedule a time to meet with Veteran Advising to setup your VA file, select your VA or TA approved degree plan, and register for classes.
  • You can also now schedule an appointment with a Veteran Advisor online using Starfish! To log in, simply use your WCC Network username and password.
    Jarid Corbitt - Schedule an Appointment

Step 6: Apply for Pell Grants through FAFSA.

Veteran, Military, and Eligible Dependent Residency

  • WA State law, in certain situations, allows veterans, active/reserve/WA National Guard, and eligible family members to access in-state residency with approved documentation. The following form will help students determine if they meet the requirements necessary to gain in-state residency for the purpose of tuition and fees. The following form, along with required documentation, must be completed and submitted to the Registration Office in Laidlaw Center, room 102.  Military and Veterans Residency

Shopping Sheet and college comparison tools

  • Financial Aid Shopping Sheet: The Financial Aid Shopping Sheet is a tool used to notify students about their financial aid package. It is designed to simplify information about school costs and financial aid.
  • College Scorecard: College Scorecard makes it easier for you to search for a college that is a good fit for you. Use the College Scorecard to find out more about affordability and value of colleges you are interested in attending.
  • College Navigator: This college search engine produces information relevant to admissions statistics, retention, financial aid, and academics. It also gives you another way to compare schools, find schools in your area, and determine costs associated with attending those schools.
  • Paying for College: Use this website to get help in making informed financial decisions about how to pay for college, understand financial aid offers, and student loan repayment.

Required transcript evaluation

You must have all prior civilian and military credits evaluated for transfer. This is best done before your second quarter of benefits has ended at Whatcom. This takes time, often up to 10 weeks once your credits arrive at Whatcom, so do not delay in starting this process. To have your credits evaluated, follow these steps:

  • Request official transcripts sent to Whatcom from all prior academic institutions for classes that will apply to the degree you plan to pursue at Whatcom.
  • Request official transcripts sent to Whatcom from military through the JST.
  • Please submit the Military Credits Evaluation (MCE) Form to the office of Admissions & Registration in LDC 102.
  • Air Force Veterans can access their transcript from the CCAF.


Whatcom's veterans safe zone program

7bbcb3f487138c4c286c76b3fc977b28_f1787We are pleased to inform you about our Veteran Safe Zone program here at Whatcom. This program was developed at WCC and initiated on campus in 2008 by veterans, dependents of veterans and veteran supporters as a visible showing of our support from our faculty and staff. Any staff member that displays one of these logos on their office door or wall has made a conscious decision to provide an area and a set of ears to a veteran. These faculty and staff members are not counselors, but they are people that care about your needs. Many of these staff members are veterans themselves, some are just people who want to help and lend support in this way.

If you are having a rough day and need to vent, ask for advice, talk about school, work or prior experiences, or just need a quiet place to sit and gather your thoughts, these people have made their office a welcome place for you.

Graduation honor cords

Whatcom Community College honors veterans with red, white, and blue honor cords at commencement. Graduating veterans, active military, reservists, and National Guard students are eligible to receive the honor cord. Graduates should check with the Veteran Services office in CAS 127 to obtain a cord. Proof of service, such as DD214 or military ID card is required at the time of receipt of the cord. Cords can also be picked up during check-in at the commencement ceremony.

National Guard and reserve students

A member of the Washington National Guard or any other military reserve component who is a student at an institution of higher education and who is ordered for a period of 30 days or less to either active or inactive state or federal service and as a result of that service or a follow-up medical treatment for injury incurred during that service misses any of the following: class, test, examination, laboratory, class day on which a written or oral assignment is due, or other event upon which a course grade or evaluation is based, is entitled to make up these events without prejudice to the final course grade or evaluation. The makeup must be scheduled after the member's return from service and after a reasonable time for the student to prepare for the event.

Refunding Tuition Assistance (TA) funds

Active duty, reserve, and National Guard students who receive military Tuition Assistance (TA) are refunded proportionally through at least 60% of the quarter for which the funds were earned. TA funds are earned proportionally during the quarter, with unearned funds returned based on when a student stops attending due to officially withdrawing from a course. If the student does not officially withdraw and stops attending the last date of attendance will be determined by the instructor.

Helpful contacts

  • VA Education Call Center - 888.442.4551
  • VA general benefit information – 800.827.1000
  • Bellingham Vet Center: "Help without Hassel" 360.733.9226
  • VA Community Based Outreach Clinic (CBOC): 360.848.8500
  • VA debt management: 1.800.827.0648
  • VA Puget Sound health care: 206.762.1010
  • VA Puget Sound health care enrollment: 1.800.326.8387
  • VA Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment, Mt. Vernon: 360.424.5470
  • Whatcom County disabled American veterans: 360.715.7453
  • Whatcom County veterans assistance program: 360.715.7453
  • FAFSA (Federal Application for Federal Student Aid)
  • Post-9/11 GI Bill® Housing Allowance calculator

Whatcom recognizes all who have served

We look forward to seeing you on our campus soon. The Veterans Office and Whatcom Community College thank you for your service and dedication. We look forward to helping you succeed and accomplish all your educational goals.